In pursuit of its aims, the IRC will develop:
- a joint research programme structured around agreed key themes
- collaborative projects, including with research users, as part of this programme
- funding bids specifically geared to building research capacity, including postdoc and PhD studentship funding
- mentoring and collaborative support structures for research career development
- regular dissemination events, including seminars and workshops, involving research users and wider audiences as appropriate
- serial publications showcasing research associated with the IRC
Its research is particularly focused on the interface between cultures. It seeks to build understanding of interactions between different cultures on a wide variety of levels, including sub-cultures, gender cultures and linguistic cultures. Developing appreciation of the experience and discursive representation of living with, or between, different cultures, identities, communities or languages is another key area of interest.