In pursuit of its aims, the IRC will develop:
- a joint research programme structured around agreed key themes
- collaborative projects, including with research users, as part of this programme
- funding bids specifically geared to building research capacity, including postdoc and PhD studentship funding
- mentoring and collaborative support structures for research career development
- regular dissemination events, including seminars and workshops, involving research users and wider audiences as appropriate
- serial publications showcasing research associated with the IRC
The IRC's research is particularly focused on the interface between cultures. It seeks to build understanding of interactions between different cultures on a wide variety of levels, including sub-cultures, gender cultures and linguistic cultures. Developing appreciation of the experience and discursive representation of living with, or between, different cultures, identities, communities or languages is another key concern of the IRC.